+ added another kind of alien: green ones are bad (shoot them and you get points), blueish ones are good (don’t shoot – deduct points)
+ added saving and loading mechanism:
- score is saved each time the player reaches the right end of the stage (level)
- save file is at “C:\Users\*username*\Documents\StarGameSave.txt”
- score is loaded from file every time the game starts
+ added sound feedback: when you shoot, a shooting sound plays
* internally added crashing mechanism (not yet active though)
* many improvements, bug fixes and optimizations (including window flickering)
How to play:
The key bindings are as follows
- Arrow keys – move ship (white rectangle
- Page up – activate weapons
- Space key – shoot
Go to the right end of the window to complete the stage.
The game counts your score. When killing a green alien, you get 100 points. When killing a cyan alien, you lose 100 points. When completing a stage, your get 10 points and your score is saved.
- If you hit an asteroid, you don’t crash but fly past it
- Green (hostile) aliens don’t attack (not yet implemented, will do later)
- Sometimes, there is a glitch where one or multiple aliens on a stage won’t die even though you shot them
- You can’t move while the shooting sound is playing
- You can’t move in a 45-degree-angle by pressing two keys at once (not a planned feature anyway)
- Shooting without the shot.wav file in the same directory as the SpaceGameVX.X.X.jar file will crash the game. Re-download the game if you are having problems.
- If your hard drive isn’t labeled “C:”, saving and loading the score won’t work. This doesn’t affect gameplay.
- Saving and loading doesn’t work on Mac OS. Will work on that.
The game only works with the latest Java software installed and requires Windows Vista or later. Runs on OS X, too, but no saving/loading yet.
Hope you enjoy! Please leave a comment to give me feedback and feel free to share this post!